How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102162
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have quick question related to visitor visa for US, no I

Customer Question

Hello I have quick question related to visitor visa for US
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no I do have Visitor Visa for US and I have Canadian PR and I am citizen of India
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My Question is - I stayed in US for 9 months (with approved extension) can I go to Canada and re-enter US. Or do I have to Leave North America to reenter?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

For purposes of re-entering, it is fine to simply go to Canada and then come back. This still counts as leaving and coming back.

However note that if you are simply seeking to "reset" your visitor visa for another 6 or more months, this is not how this works. If you are on a visitor visa, as a rule of thumb, you have to stay out of US as many months or more before coming back in. In other words, you need to spend more time abroad than in USA when on a B2 visa. While this is discretionary and subjective, US officials may deny you entry or limit your B2 visa to only 1-2 months for the particular entry, if they feel that you are "abusing" the B2 visa by "living" in USA for all intents and purposes, and are simply going abroad for a few days/weeks to "reset" the visa.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the You SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.