How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in Malaysia trying to come back to the

Customer Question

I have a friend in Malaysia trying to come back to the states. His Visa had expired a month and 1/2 ago. Malaysia immigration is asking for 2,600 ringgits to clear him to buy a ticket flight to leave. Does that sound right. What can he do to arrange to get out. He has no money to pay that. Thanks.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: He went over to do some work, contracted by a company of US. He won't get paid til he returns, he can't get out.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: He just found out yesterday but he has no money to do that. He is staying with a friend he met when he worked over there but he needs to leave.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He owes the Malaysian government money for taxes but he has gotten approval from them to pay when he returns to the states. He was sent a verification from the company he has done the work and has this money coming, once allowed to come back to the states. The states department accepted that and cleared him to travel. When he went to airport yesterday to buy ticket, immigration told him his visa expired and owes this money. He is caught up in a catch 22, is there something he can do? It took him this long to get the Malaysian government to clear him from taxes owed right now, that's why his Visa expired. What can he do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

How did you meet this person?

Have you met this friend in person or do you only know them from internet and telephone contact?

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?