How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 943
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Card E19 issued on 01/27/2012 expiration on

Customer Question

I have a green Card E19 issued on 01/27/2012 expiration on 01/27/2022. I got a divorce last year on august.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: my question is can I apply for the citizenship on the begin of next year when I complete 5 years of residency?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no other application or petition
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: that my divorce was finished in good terms. We did not used a lawyer for that. We still talk with each other and nothing was file with USCIS after the divorce
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

If you can bear with me for a few moments, I'm working on typing up a response to your question.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately USCIS requires you to be married for the entire 5 years. Since you were divorced before then, it does make you ineligible to apply for the US citizenship. I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news about that. I did also take a moment to contact USCIS to verify this (anonymously of course) and they did confirm that a divorce before the 5 years makes you ineligible to apply for US citizenship.

There are however other potential pathways to receiving US residency. Do you have any relatives that are US residents? Perhaps a parent or sibling? There are also certain investor visas that grant residency and citizenship, however those do require a rather substantial investment.

I hope this at least helps give you some information, even if it's not the good news you were looking for. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, thanks!