How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4703
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks my question is that I have a f1 visa and I'll finish

Customer Question

thanks my question is that I have a f1 visa and I'll finish my school program in December I would like extent or change my status to tourist visa
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I'm student I don't have any pending applications with USCIS
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet but I would like to because I wanna know witch are my options
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: my student visa ends on February 04 of 2017
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

If you would like to apply to try to change your status to a B2 tourist visa then you have to make sure to do that BEFORE your F1 status expires. To do it, you would send form I-539 with the fee and a cover letter explaining what are the tourist visas why you wish to stay in the US. Remember they need to be tourist reasons why you are staying, not work reasons. You can find the form on

You should send it in at least 30-45 days before your F1 visa. Once you send it in and USCIS receives it, you can stay in the US and wait for the decision even if your F1 expires.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again.. I see that you were not able to view by answer. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

And Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify for you. My goal is to earn your positive rating.