How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 950
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need help in getting my adopted children from Liberia, West

Customer Question

Need help in getting my adopted children from Liberia, West Africa visas and travel documents
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: US citizen, no pending applications
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Adoption completed in Liberia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be helping answer your questions today; please note I can answer your questions for informational purposes only, as we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
need help with foreign adoption
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You'll need to file for either an IR-3 or IR-4 visa. Did you travel abroad and meet your children in person prior to the adoption? That's relevant for determining which visa you need to file for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. How do we get the visa application. Where do we file it? Liberia or US
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You file it here in the US through the website.

You'll need to fill out the forms for an IR-3 visa for a non-hague convention country. Once your child arrives in the US they will receive their citizenship!

I hope that helps! Please feel free to ask me any follow-up questions. Please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. We can still continue our conversation for free after you've rated me. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, I forgot to include the form you will need to fill out in my prior answer, it's Form I-600.

Please let me know if that helps clarify things and if you have any more questions.