How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109627
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question for Guillermo j senmartin; Guillermo, with regards

Customer Question

question for Guillermo j senmartin; hi Guillermo, with regards ***** ***** of status , if the US citizen has a large amount of capital in their bank account, can they by pass the income based salary requirements of needing 125% above the poverty line in order to sponsor their spouse through salary payments alone ? If the US citizen isn't employed but has a high net worth can they adjust the status of their foreign spouse without being employed ? If this is possible how much should the US citizen be worth before they can apply for this ? If this is not possible and the US citizen must be in employment to sponsor and change the status ( regardless of net worth ) then how long do they have to be employed constantly by the same company before they can apply for adjustment of status on behalf of their alien spouse ? 6 months , 12 months ? many thanks. K.Bentoua
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for requesting me. I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

They can, but it is only 1/3 that counts. So let's say you would need $20,000 to meet the minimum, you would have to have $60,000 or more in the bank because only 1/3 of that counts. As far as net worth, the U.S. Citizen would have to proof ownership of assets and the equitable value of the assets usually by independent appraisals.

As far as new employment, I would say just long enough to generate a few paycheck stubs to be able to show that they would be making X amount of money per year even though they haven't made that amount yet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!