Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I came in 1969 born in cuba and im us citizen i want to know

Customer Question
if i could have dual...
i came in 1969 born in cuba and im us citizen i want to know if i could have dual citizenship with no problem for my retirement in usa
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: im 60 yrs old and all i want to know if i could have dual citizenship
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet i just talking to my family in cuba
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i want to be legal in usa but when you talk to cuba lawyers they said is okay you could do dual
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
us citizen what is uscis
8/24/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Shannon Llenza, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Shannon Llenza

Yes, you can maintain your Cuban citizenship if you become a U.S. citizen. Please see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dual citizenship and i going to retired here in usa i dont loose anything here i wont be punishe im not moving to cuba i love usa i have all my family just to have what i dream of from my parents
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lots of cuban become now dual citizenship but i want to go by usa law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
confirm me pls that yes or not i cannot be a dual remember cuba still communist

You don't lose your birth citizenship when you become a U.S. citizen. The issue of your retirement is separate and not something I am in a position to answer.

If you need further information please let me know. I can also schedule a call with you as well.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 3, 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

The US Department of State has this to say about dual citizenship with Cuba:

Dual Nationality: The Government of Cuba does not recognize the U.S. nationality of U.S. citizens who are born in Cuba or are the children of Cuban parents. These individuals will be treated solely as Cuban citizens and may be subject to a range of restrictions and obligations, including military service. The Cuban government may require Cuban-American citizens to enter and depart Cuba using a Cuban passport. Using a Cuban passport for this purpose does not jeopardize one's U.S. citizenship; however, such persons must use their U.S. passports to enter and depart the United States. In some instances, dual nationals may be required to obtain exit permission from the Cuban government in order to return to the United States. There have been cases of Cuban-American dual nationals being forced by the Cuban government to surrender their U.S. passports. Despite these restrictions, Cuban-American dual nationals who fall ill may only be treated at hospitals for foreigners (except in emergencies). See the Consular Access paragraph below for information on Cuba's denial of consular services to Cuban-American dual nationals who have been arrested, as well as the Children’s Issues paragraph below for information on how dual nationality may affect welfare inquiries and custody disputes.

If you take up dual citizenship with a Cuban passport you may be forced to use that passport to enter and depart Cuba but our US laws require you to depart the US and enter the US with your American passport.

You can do it but not the possible risks.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer