How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the US on L1A visa and I was wondering if there is a

Customer Question

Hello... I am in the US on L1A visa and I was wondering if there is a way to get it switched to a visa where I can switch employers
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No, I have L1A approved till April, 2019
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no, just need a way to switch employers
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What level of education do you have? What country or countries do you have citizenship in? Do you have money to invest? How much?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an MBA in Finance & IT. I am an Indian citizen, but have lived in other countries - Singapore [10 months], Switzerland [5 years] and now US on L1A visa.
I don't have money to invest for a direct GC program.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, someday, I would like to be able to apply for a Green card in the US
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Well, only having Indian citizenship, you cannot qualify for an E-1 or E-2 Treaty Trader or Treaty Investor visa either. I assume you have not worked for any other company outside of the U.S. for 1 year out of the last 3 years that may want to hire you in the U.S.? I have to tell you that it isn't looking good. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you suggest a conversion to H1B? Is that possible?