How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 956
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I visit friends in Canada if I have a felony

Customer Question

How can I visit friends in Canada if I have a felony conviction. My conviction was in 1987. I served 2 years in prison and post prison supervision. All completed
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Called immigration in Canada several years ago and, at that time, there was no provision given to me to help.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My crime was a white color crime, however it was a crime and I served time
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Miami Prosecutor. Please note I can answer your questions for informational purposes, we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What you can do is apply for Canada Temporary Resident Permit- it allows US citizens with a felony conviction to enter into Canada, and is generally good for up to 3 years.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The 2nd and only other option is Canada's Criminal Rehabilitation. This is a permanent fix that will allow you to enter Canada for the rest of your life without any problems (so long as you do not have any arrests/convictions on your record in the future).

The Criminal Rehabilitation however, does take one year to process. It is available to you though, so long as it has been 5 years since you completed your sentence.

What I would recommend doing if you'd like to go visit your friends, is applying for the Temporary Resident Permit through the Canadian consulate (as that is a quicker fix), then you can consider applying for the Criminal Rehabilitation later on, as a more permanent solution.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please be advised you are checked at the Canadian border, so if you attempt to enter without permit, your priors will pop up and you'll be flagged and turned around. Not worth it, for your time and expense in traveling. I hope that is helpful, best of luck to you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I hope that was helpful. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, just wanted to make sure you don't have any follow-up questions from our earlier conversation? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating using the stars, this does not come at any additional cost to you, it's just the way attorneys are compensated for their time here on 'just answer'. And you are still able to ask me any additional questions and receive answers from me for free even after you rate me. Thank you!