How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109615
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently working on an E2 visa in Texas, i am a uk

Customer Question

I am currently working on an E2 visa in Texas, i am a uk citizen, i recently married a US citizen and will be applying for a green card. My question relates to my name on documents, currently my passport and social security is in my maiden/family name, when apply i want to use my married name. Do i need to change my passport and social security name first? Or can i apply using my married name but with my ID in the old name? (then after i am granted a green card change my passport)
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

When you married, did you change your name in the marriage certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not a place on the marriage certificate to change my name? It has my name at the time and my husbands name. I was married in the uk, so in the uk you just are able to use your name from then. Is it not the same for the USA?
Would sending a picture help?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I would rather that you not upload that with personal information on it. I can send you a Premium Service offer so you can email it to me.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If your marriage certificate did not change your name legally to your spouse's name, then you are supposed to go through a legal name change through the local family court system. If not, you can fill out all the immigration forms with the married name, and your work permit and green card may be issued in the married name, but I cannot guarantee it. If they do issue in your married name, then continue to use the married name from that point on. One thing you should know, though, USCIS doesn't care if you change your name to the married name or not. They don't see that as more or less evidence that the marriage is real. It is up to you if you want it changed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Amy. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!