Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a friend have been seeing for a couple weeks right

Customer Question
now. We Like each...
I have a friend have been seeing for a couple weeks right now. We Like each other and like to start a relationship. Unfortunately her permit visa expires september eighth and she has return back to Belarus. Is there anyway I can extend her stay without having to marry her or apply for a special visa so she can come back again. She has been coming to America for the last two years during the summer with a student visa. But she won't be able to use that kind of visa next year because she will be done with her university.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/23/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the licensed immigration attorney helping you today.

She can apply for a change of status from student to tourist visa while she is here inside the US and she does not have to leave. She has to make sure to submit the application for extension I-539 BEFORE September 8th.You can find it on uscis.gov/forms

She should write a cover letter explaining why she wants to stay and it must be for tourist reasons such as visiting places or attending special events. If it is approved, they will give her an additional 6 months in the US. Once she departs from the US, she can also apply for a tourist visa from Belarus to come back in as a tourist.

Getting a visa to work at a restaurant would be very difficult.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If she applies for Visa by Monday how long will it take for her to get an approval?

The approval takes about 2-4 months but as long as USCIS receives the application to extend before Sept 8th, then she is okay to stay in the US past September 8th and wait here for a decision.

I hope this clarifies your doubts and hope to have earned your positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will she she able to work during that time

No she cannot work at all legally. She must be here as a tourist and only be doing tourist activities.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your consideration.

Best of luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there another form she can fill out to be able to work at her current job

Unfortunately no, not right away; it is not so simple to get a work visa. She can apply for an H1B work visa but that does not open until April 2017.

I'm very sorry but I do have to go now. I hope I have answered all of your questions and I hope that I have earned your positive rating. That's the only way that we receive credit for our time helping you. Thanks in advance.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer again yesterday but you still have not asked any follow up questions or left any feedback.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify for you. My goal is to earn your positive rating.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney