Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My wife and I are planning to divorce. I am a US citizen;

Customer Question

My wife and I are planning to divorce. I am a US citizen; she is a permanent resident with the proper visa. Will our divorce have any bearing on her residency here? Will it interfere with any citizenship attempt in the future?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

She got Residency through you? Does she have a 2 year green card or a 10 year green card? How long have you been married?

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If she has a 10 year green card and it has been around a year or more since she got the 10 year green card aproved, then there should be no problem. It she just got the 10 year green card appove, it would look suspicious to divorce soon after approval of the 10 year green card. If she still has her 2 year green card, then she's going to have to prove that the marriage was real and just fell apart in order to get her 10 year green card.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have been married for 26 years, but separated for four years. She did get the permanent resident visa through me, and I believe has already renewed to the 10 year visa. If we divorce, will it impede her ability to one day become a citizen? Will her residency before that be effected?

Thank you for finally responding. May I ask why you didn't respond before? It happens from time to time and I am trying to figure out if it is a system bug or maybe the way that I state things in my initial communication. I'd appreciate your help with that if you wouldn't mind.

Anyway, no, with such a long marriage, it would not cause her to have a problem with her current status nor would it cause he a problem in getting U.S. Citizenship in the future.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!