Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am a Russian citizen. I have just acquired the citizenship

Customer Question
Dear Sir, I am a Russian...
Dear Sir,
I am a Russian citizen. I have just acquired the citizenship of the US and requested to have my last name changed during the naturalization process. So now I have a Russian passport( with my old name ) and a US passport with my new name on. Also I have a certificate of naturalization and a court I have booked my airline tickets to go to Russia in my new name ( US passport name). Will I have any complications during my flight? Is it a legal practice to travel with two passports? Should I make any name changes? My trip also involves a a flight going from Moscow to my hometown, which ,I now figured, would be impossible to do with my American name in the ticket.
What are my options?
Thank you so much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/15/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

Traveling with two passports is common. The U.S. requires you to enter using the U.S. Passport. Other countries may require use of the home country's passport, so it is common to travel with two. You should not have any problems from either country using either passports. You may consider getting a new Russian passport with your new name so that the airlines don't give you any delays if you purchase a ticket under one name but use the Russian passport with the other name.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Sir,
It takes months to get my Russian passport changed. I am asking if there is a way to travel with different names in passports?

I understand that and I stated that it was ok. You just may have some minor issue with the airline. I would just use the U.S. Passport when dealing with airline employees and TSA/Security, and the Russian passport when you are entering Russia. But you can travel with both.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.