Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have a 70 year old man that has been living in my basement

Customer Question

I have a 70 year old man that has been living in my basement for over a year now and i can't talk him into leaving the U.S. and returning to England where he's from. I took him in temporary after his girlfriend passed away. I didn't know he was never married to a U.S. citizen until recently. This guy is overstayed his visa now for around 18 years. He now says he isn't leaving. What can i do to get Michael J Barnes out of here? My name is***** ph.***-***-**** I don't want to be in any trouble having him live in my downstairs basement. Thank You..
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you renting to him or just letting him live there?

.

If renting, is he under a written fixed term lease or is he month to month?

.

Is he current on his rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No written agreement or contract, sometimes pays a small amount of cash but not enuff to make it worth my while. His brother from England transfers his retirement money from England to a bank in Brighton Iowa. I'm not sure what he gets per month. I own my house.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any questions for me, just let me know. Thank You.

Ok, if there is no agreement about how much to pay in rent, then the person is considered a month to month tenant under an oral tenancy agreement.

.

Their immigration status has nothing to do with your rights to evict them and you would need to start out by giving him a written 30 day notice to vacate, specifying the date on which the tenancy will end.

.

If he doesn't move out within that 30 days, you can file a formal eviction action, called a forcible entry and detainer (FED), in the local court to get a judgment and a writ of possession that the sheriff will execute to physically remove him from the property.

.

There must be at least 3 days between when you file for the FED and when the hearing is held. Assuming that you win at the hearing, you are entitled to a writ of possession 3 days after getting a judgment. So you are looking at a minimum of 12 days after you filed the FED before you could have the sheriff physically remove him and his property.

.

You could also threaten to call Immigration and Naturalization Services and report him as being an illegal alien as that might encourage him to move out earlier..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
34;For Barrister"

Did you have any other questions I can help with?.

..

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not today.

Ok, have a great evening!