Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I would like to know if it is possible for me to add my

Customer Question
Hi!I would like to know...
Hi!I would like to know if it is possible for me to add my adopted daughter who is abroad on my n-400 form?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet but i talked to a uscis representative
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/10/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You are a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident that is applying now for U.S. Citizenship? When did you adopt your daughter? How old was she when you adopted her? You have not applied for her to get Lawful Permanent Residency yet?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If you adopted her after she turned 16, then while you are supposed to add her because legally she is your child, you cannot pass on a U.S. immigration benefit to her because she was too old when you adopted her. I hope that isn't the case.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

I still don't know why you are not responding. It does not cost you anything additional to type a response to me. If you adopted her before she turned 16, you add her to your N-400 and you petition for her to come to the U.S. as a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. If she enters the U.S. as a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident before she turns 18, then she can file an N-600 to get a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a permanent resident. I adopted a 13 y.o. who is still living in Africa in May of this year. I want to apply for citizenship and I was wondering if I should add my adopted child on the n 400 form or if there are separate forms to fill out for that. Will I be asked to proof the adoption when i go for the interview? Will it be possible for me to file for my adopted daughter to come to America?

Thank you for finally responding. Yes, you can and must include her in the N-400. They most likely will not ask for evidence of the adoption at that time because you aren't applying for her through the N-400. Yes, you will be able to apply for her to come to the U.S. and when she does, if you have already obtained U.S. Citizenship and she is under 18, you can file for her to get U.S. Citizenship through you.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you once again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you again for your kindness and respect. Good luck.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.