Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

FOR GUILLERMO I had a couple of quick questions about

FOR GUILLERMO Hello, I had a...
FOR GUILLERMO
Hello, I had a couple of quick questions about immigration paperwork:
As I explained before, my wife and I are applying for resident status. We married here in the US after she arrived on a tourist visa. We live in Hawaii on the island of Kauai and we do not have access to the immigration office without taking a flight! Your help is most appreciated.1) On form I-485 under part 2 a though j should I be checking "b" for "my spouse or parent applied for an adjustment of status or was granted lawful....."? None of them seem to be quite the right choice for our situation.2)My wife does not have any desire to return to Japan for the next year and a half or so. Would it be ok to skip the I-131?3)The forms ask for passport photos on the back of which we are to write our names in felt pen. Should my wife use her name that is on her passport, or my last name?4)Lastly, as far as the payment to USCIS, should I make all separate checks/money orders for each form fee or put it all together as one check?Also, I paid a fee last time for a residency package. What does this mean or what am I entitled to for that?
Thanks so much for your help!
8/9/2016
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Thank you for requesting me by name:

1) It's "a" because you will be filing an I-130 for her that will give her an immediately available immigrant visa.

2) Yes, but I would not because you never know if emergency travel will be needed. Since it is free, she should do it (it is included in the price of the I-485).

3) If the marriage certificate legally changed her name to your last name, then fill everything out with your last name.

4) I would do one for $420 for the I-130 and one for $1070 for the I-485.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I cannot discuss pricing on an open forum, but if you accept, you will see I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
In two weeks, my wife and I will be going to immigration here in Hawaii for our interview. I am a US citizen and my wife is Japanese.1)First of all, in addition to what is said to be required in the appointment form, do you have any general advice that would help us to have a smooth interview?2)Also, my wife speaks English fairly well, however, I would not call her perfectly fluent. How important do you believe it is to have a translator present?3)We came to the US and were married here. As I have explained to you in a past inquiry, on the way in from Japan my wife was stopped at the Chicago Airport by immigration/homeland security. She was questioned a bit and her suitcase was searched. She was asked what our relationship was and she replied we were friends. She was asked why she was planning to stay for more than two months and if she was going to lose her job in Japan. She said that she was using earned vacation time but was planning to quit her job in the near future. Will this be brought up in our interview, and if so is there anything that we should say or not say about it?Thanks again,
Noah
Also, we have a copy of her translated birth certificate and the original Japanese certificate. Immigration has the original. Will a copy of the Japanese consulate's translation along with the original Japanese birth certificate suffice? Thank you

A few follow-up questions? Those end up being long answers and additional questions after that. Let's see...

1) Things that you receive every month, like bills and statements, make sure that you take some from every two or three months that you have lived together. Don't just take the last month or the first month. Anything that you don't want to leave behind, make sure you make copies of and leave them the copies.

2) If she speaks and understands fairly well, and you have a good amount of evidence, you can save the money on a translator. If not, then better to spend the $150 to $200 or so on a translator.

3) It could be and if they recorded her answers, either by video, audio, or written statement, it could be an issue that could require an I-601 waiver. You can look at that here:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-601

Hopefully it does not come to that.

Thank you very much for your response that was very helpful- just one more quick question:
We have a copy of her translated birth certificate and the original Japanese certificate. Immigration has the original. Will a copy of the Japanese consulate's translation along with the original Japanese birth certificate suffice? Thank you

If immigration has the original, a copy should be enough.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.