Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am an International Student and My Friend And I Opened and

Customer Question

Hi ,
I am an International Student and My Friend And I Opened and established a us company and we are planning to Employ 10 people. Do I qualify for the EB 5 Visa or Green card ? "
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Was your investment at least $1,000,000?

Or was it at least $500,000 and in a target employment area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our business is phone app similar to snapchat and Instagram and we steblished an LLC company and we spent money on developing the programe and we have Arround 250 in cash right now

Ok thank you, ***** ***** need to know if you invested at least $1,000,000?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that include the amount that we apent in the project too

It is all the money that you have invested into the business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way we can get a Visa that will open up a path for The Green Card with an investment of
250 000 $
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Did you opt Jennifer out? Not sure why her question has popped up on the open question forum. What country are or countries do you and your friend have citizenship in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saudi Arabia , Senegal

Senegal will work, Saudi Arabia will not work as it is not on the list:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/treaty.html

Do both of you have citizenship in Senegal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we never know each other before we met in USA while studing and we estblished our company in USA and we want to hire people and correct our stauts

So you only have citizenship in Saudi Arabia and your friend has citizenship only in Senegal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then unfortunately, an E-2 is possible for your partner if he owns 50% or more of the business, but not for you. For your friend, while the law only says, "substantial investment", for the E-2 visa they usually look for around $200,000 or more. This is because anything less is a weak case that could easily fail. And they will not approve a visa for a business that they think will easily fail and you would end up being out of status.

Usually attorneys do not take cases of E visas for less than a $200,000 investment because they do not want to risk losing the case and having an upset client because the client has to have the money already invested and at risk and if it is denied, they have to try to sell the business or something to try to recoup their investment. If your friend individually has around $200,000 or more to invest, he should be good to do.

Here is a link to the E-2 if you want to read more:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/e-2-treaty-investors

If you own a business outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year and will continue to run that business, you can invest $100,000 or more in a U.S. business (doesn't have to be the same business, but must be related by ownership and here is where you may be able to partner with your friend) and you can try for an L-1A visa. Here is a link to that, but keep in mind that both businesses have to be run and should be successful. You can't just come to the U.S. and forget about the business outside and let it die:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1a-intracompany-transferee-executive-or-manager

So basically, your friend gets the E-2 and you get the L-1A. Later on, that may lead into a green card for you under EB-1C:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-first-preference-eb-1

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Mohammed. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.