How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 116761
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a naturalized US citizen from Canada. How would a

Customer Question

I am a naturalized US citizen from Canada. How long would a petition take for my retired 62 year old Canadian sister to get a green card.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My sister is finacially secure and not only has pension income but also considerable assets.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You should be able to get your sibling a visa in about 8-18 months, since family of US Citizens get preferential handling on approval of visas. It all depends on how busy USCIS is when they receive the application, but in general if you apply and she has no issues in her background they can approve her green card fairly quickly, especially if she is coming from Canada.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Can you recommend a good immigration law firm in north Texas or can we just apply ourselves and get the same results?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You should use a local immigration attorney, since that usually makes the process go faster without errors. We cannot make a personal referral, but you can get one from the same sites used by other attorneys, or

Related Immigration Law Questions