How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1361
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was naturalized as a minor through my mothers

Customer Question

I was naturalized as a minor through my mothers Naturalization process..
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: what governmental agency should i contact to get copies of my mothers and fathers citizenship documents. telephone, fax, email?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If you were naturalized after February 27, 2001, and you were a permanent resident and under 18 years old at the time, then you probably have automatically acquired U.S. citizenship. Before that date, you may have automatically acquired U.S. citizenship if you were a permanent resident and under 18 years old when your mother was naturalized, or if you had only one parent when that parent naturalized. However, if your parent(s) naturalized after you were 18, then you will need to apply for naturalization on your own after you have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years.

You can apply to the U.S. Department of State for a U.S. passport. A passport will be evidence of citizenship and also serves as a travel document if you need to travel.

If you need copies a copy of your mothers naturalization documents there are several ways to get copies for your proof of citizenship. If your mother is alive, she can apply for new certificates or submit Freedom of Information Act requests for proof of when they naturalized. If she has passed away, you can order a copy of her naturalization certificates online from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Just go to and click on “History and Genealogy” on the left side of the page. Another source for proof of her naturalization is the New York Office of the National Archives, Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House at One Bowling Green, Manhattan, or online at The National Archives in New York City is the repository for naturalization records filed in federal courts in New Jersey, New York and Puerto Rico from 1795 to 1991.

I hope this helps.

Related Immigration Law Questions