How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109303
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently got my greencard. The problem is, my parents

Customer Question

Hi, i have recently got my greencard. The problem is, my parents name are misspelled in my passport and it was carried forward in my green card. now, i want my parents to visit me here. but their name in their passport and my passport doesnot match ( its a small spelling mistake). my mothers real surname is "akhtar" ehre in my passport its written as " akhter".
is there any way i can fix their name in my green cards and passport. please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Where exactly on your green card do you see your parents' name? Or you mean your last name is misspelled? Who's error was it? And what visa do your parents have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not sure if my green card contains my parents name. but the documents i have provided to get my green card ( Birth certificate) contains my parents name where it is misspelled. My parents last name is ***** ***** is my error,. my parents are the citizen of bangladesh. they want to apply for tourist visa B1 to visit me here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my mom's passport, her last name is "akhtar" whrere in my passport, her last name is "akhtar". similarly, in my dad's passport his first name is "mohammod" but in my passport ,his first anme is "muhammad".
its a small error
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your green card does not have their complete names on it. But if your last name is ***** ***** it matches the name on your birth certificate, how can you prove what the correct spelling is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is ***** ***** is not misspelled. my parents name are misspelled.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

But as I said, your parents' name is ***** ***** your green card. So your last name is ***** ***** on your green card? It's just that on your birth certificate their last name is ***** ***** correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also in my passport. i still hold valid bangladesh passport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both my birth certificate and my passport contains misspelled first and last name of my parents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am just worried about the fact that, when my parents will take visa interview in Bangladesh and they will tell about me. visa officer will see that name spelling does not match in their passport and in my passport. they might think its fake, but its not. i want to fix it from my end legally.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Well, you should get your birth certificate fixed and then after that, your passport fixed. That way they can have proof that their names are ***** ***** you are their son. But don't have them focus on their relationship to you. They need to focus on their strong ties to their home country to prove that they will go back home. What you do not want is for the officer to think that they will come to the U.S., stay illegally and then wait for you to become a U.S. Citizen and petition for them to get green cards because you can do that even if they stay illegally. So from your end, you would need to do some legal steps in Bangladesh to fix the birth certificate. Then change the passport, then give them copies of both the legal process you went through to fix the birth certificate and the passport so your parents have that for the interview in case the visa officer asks about it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i correct my parents name in my birth certificate and in my passport, will it effect my green card? or my citizenship process as they have the old birth certificate with misspelled name of my parents.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No. It would not negatively effect either, just keep copies of the legal process to change your birth certificate if any USCIS Officer asks about it. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!