How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received my Card E18 category on July 15th. GC in hand

Customer Question

Hi. Im Michael.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I received my Green Card E18 category on July 15th. GC in hand since last Thursday.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The company BAUER Foundation based in Florida wants to send me to Germany to work for BAUER Spezialtiefbau for 4 months starting August 1st.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I expect an offer from a US major competitor today to join their company. As far as I understand: Leaving to Germany on a german contract for 4 months puts potential risk on my GC. Question: Can I join another company this early after GC issuance? The E18 restriction with staying in my field of business would be fully covered.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Leaving the country for more than 12 consecutive months with your green card can make your readmission to the US difficult. 4 months is not a risk, since you are allowed to leave the country with your green card.

As far as joining the new company, that would depend on any contractual obligations you have with your current company. If you guaranteed them a certain amount of service in exchange for your green card, you have to complete that contract with them or they can pursue you for breach of contract. However, if you have no such contractual restrictions, you can indeed switch over to some new employer within your restrictions.

Related Immigration Law Questions