How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Before I ask my question, here is a brief summary about my

Customer Question

Hi,Before I ask my question, here is a brief summary about my situation.I came to the United States in September 2010 on F-1 visa. Since then, I have never been out of status and I am still in legal F-1 status. I have not visited my country since January 2012 and since December 2014, I have not exited the country.Here is my question,In my country, there has been coup attempt lately and it was unsuccessful. Now the government blames one group which has very large member of supporter/members, and puts everyone in jail who are economically or emotionally support, or being involved with that group in any type. They even issued State of Emergency just to avoid laws that would be problem for them.( like extending jail time of suspects because they do not have enough evidence or they can't have enough evidence to press charges). Also, I have read all over the international news like independence and New York Times that suspects in jail are being raped and tortured to push them to admit they are supporters of this particular group.I myself admit that I follow this group and consider myself a member. This group has apartments, houses where the members get together and live together. Also, this group has Universities, pre-university courses, charter school all around the world including in the United States. United States does not think the same as my country about this group and there has been no chargers or arrest made to this group in here. In fact, our respected leader lives in this country in LPR status.Since I have been involved too many times in this group, ( like volunteering as language teacher or helping in their social activities, and also went to their pre-college courses in my country), I am afraid that they might also take me to jail when I go back to my country. So i was wondering, would I be eligible to apply for asylum? If I do, will I lose my current Status? (F1)Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you can present proof of a real connection to this political group such that there is a direct possibility that you would be wrongfully punished or harmed should you return to your country, then you could apply for and qualify for asylum. If you apply for asylum, you would not lose your F-1 status until your asylum is approved, it would be a change of status to get you resident status under asylum as opposed to your current F-1 status.