Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

We helped a man immigrate here from Scotland. He married my

Customer Question
We helped a young man...
We helped a young man immigrate here from Scotland. He married my daughter. My wife sponsored him. Then the very day he got his green card, he started being mean to her. They are now divorced (final on their one year anniversary. Fairly obvious immigration fraud. (To me it is anyway). He is now hanging out with his drug dealer buddy and sleeping/living with another poor young girl. We need to get my wife's name off his sponsorship and get him deported.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Only that we were duped and taken advantage of by this con man.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/25/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to your daughter and family. It is awful. Some of the news I may have for you may not be what you'd like to hear though. Unfortunately there is no sure way to take your wife off as his sponsor because the I-864 is a legal contract that immigration takes seriously. The only way to legally break it are if:

1. The foreigner dies

2. The foreigner departs the US and loses his green card

3. The foreigner becomes a US citizen

4. The foreigner works at least 40 quarters (about 10 years) in the US

5. The foreigner is put into deportation proceedings and gets his green card again through other means.

As you can see, the most plausible way for your wife to no longer be his sponsor is probably if he leaves the US and is no longer a permanent resident. This can happen in several ways. If he is arrested for a serious crime, he could face deportation. Also if he only has his conditional green card then if he never applies for the permanent one (2 years after he gets the first) then he is deportable.

And lastly another choice is if your daughter likes, she can also report him to Homeland Security Investigations for suspicion of marriage fraud and they can investigate the situation. If they find that he did commit marriage fraud, they can also deport him. To contact them, you should call the office nearest you of Homeland Security Investigations.. Here is the list of offices https://www.ice.gov/contact/hsi#wcm-survey-target-id

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney