How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1458
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a natural born U.S. citizen living in the U.S. in

Customer Question

I am a natural born U.S. citizen living in the U.S. in Illinois. I want marry a woman who is curently living in Great Britain and holds a dual citicnship of Great Britain and South Africa.due to health issues I cannot go to England, if she comes here on a Vistior Visa, we get married what happens next
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Legally, there is nothing wrong with getting married while she is in the U.S. as a visitor (on a B-2 visa), if she returns home at the end of her visa-permitted stay. But that doesn't it’s risk-free strategy. It is common to use a visitor visa as a way of entering the U.S., getting married, and then applying for adjustment of status (a green card) after arrival, to avoid the longer process of applying for a fiancee or marriage-based visa from overseas.

However, in many cases, after someone obtain a visitor visa, the border official who greets them upon U.S. entry may not believe their tourist intentions, and may exercise "expedited removal" powers to deny entry and send them home. That puts an order of removal on their record, preventing a return to the U.S. for several years.

It is better to obtain a fiance visa (K-1) for travel to the United States to marry. It takes longer, about 6 months, but your entry will be easier, and there is little risk of denial of the visa, especially from England.

So yes she can get married to you while in the US while on a B-1/B-2 tourist visa, but there is the risk of denial.

I hope this helps.

Related Immigration Law Questions