How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5087
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did my Oath Ceremony in July 2009. I received my passport

Customer Question

I did my Oath Ceremony in July 2009. I received my passport in August 2008, with edition date August 5. I lost my Naturalization certificate, and want to know the day since my wife is filling her N400 and they requested this info.
I do no want to wait for the FOAI answer since it will take around 2 month and I don't want to pay (don't have the money) the $380 to request a copy that anyway, I don't need. The only thing I want is the complete date. I already have month and year.
My A number was A089631855.
If you cant provide me with the awnser?
I do appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Unfortunately as private attorneys, we do not have records of when a person received their naturalization certificate or became naturalized. That is all private information.

The FOIA is the only way to do it for free that exists but it may takes at least 2-3 months. Since you are asking specifically for a copy of the naturalization it may not take so long.

Something I can tell you is that I have helped many clients with their Citizenship applications N-400, and there have many times where their spouse does not know their exact day of naturalization. As long as you know more or less like the month and the year, that is sufficient. The application for your wife will not be delayed or denied at all because of this so if that is the only reason she is not submitting it, it should not be. She can also tell the officer at her interview that she did not know the exact day because you misplaced the certificate. Again, I have never seen this be an issue. It is up to you but this is my professional experience.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** are unable, as I see, to answer my question. What you are telling me is the same thing I wrote since USCIS told me the same and guide me to apply to FOIA.What I specifically ask is the date. Your answer doesn't satisfied my question and the amount I'm saying.In the other hand, the site state to deposit $5 as a good faith and them if you are satisfied to pay the rest, but is a rip-off since they already charge the $38I'm upset!!!
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I apologize that you are upset but no one can answer this question differently because there is no other alternative unfortunately. But I believe I did you very valuable information in that your wife DOES NOT need your date of citizenship in order to apply for her citizenship. Her putting the month and year is enough. I have done it many times for clients.

I apologize if you are still not satisfied and you are welcome to request a refund. IN any case, We only receive a portion of when you leave a positive rating, if not the website keeps everything.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Jennifer, is not against you. But, I do have a couple of friends that recommended the same, and if you are familiar with internet and forums, many people will say exactly what you mention, so , if not a new respond for me.
I was looking for an specific answer. I do not want her to apply without all the fields complete correctly.Thank you
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I understand you would not like to do that..but in that case the only specific answer that exists are the only two options I mentioned. 1. A FOIA specifically mentioning that all you need is a copy of your Naturalization certification on form G-639 and faxing it in for faster service and asking for expedited processing on a cover letter or 2. Submitting the N-565 to replace the certificate and paying the fee.

These are the only two options that you will find from friends, forums, other website etc because they are the only two that exist, unfortunately. I wish I had another option to give you but I cannot lie to you just to earn your positive rating. I rather be honest even if I receive no credit for my time.

I hope this has helped in some way.