Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I'm a US citizen. I need to renew my passport but owe 10,000

Customer Question
Hello, I'm a US citizen...
Hello, I'm a US citizen. I need to renew my passport but owe 10,000 in child support. Is there any way around this law? I have been paying back for years Now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/15/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. We will talk back and forth until I have all the information I need from you, and you will respond until you have all the information you need. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, you cannot be issued a passport if you have an outstanding balance of $2500 or more in arrears for child support. State enforcement agencies report to the Department of Health and Human Services. And the Department of State, which issues passports, cannot issue a passport if your name appears on the HHS list of those who are in arrears for more than $2500. If you are on that list, then the Department of State cannot issue the passport; there is no way around this, except to make payments that would get you to less than $2500. I'm very sorry.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer