How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sponsored my Canadian ex-wife and she has a Permanent

Customer Question

I sponsored my Canadian ex-wife and she has a Permanent Residency Card. She has now remarried a man who has been listed as a habitual felon. Neither of them work. Am I still financially responsible for her? Can I have her deported? We have two adopted children that she does not allow me to see even though I have been supporting the children and now her new husband for 3 years now. What options do I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. If you are divorced then no you are not responsible for her. You can report her to USCIS if she has been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude. But there is no other basis for you to have her deported.

Have you a court ordered visitation schedule to see the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not been convicted of a crime but has married a habitual felon and has guns in her name and in the house, knowing her husband is forbidden as a felon to be in a home with guns. What should I do?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You can report the firearms in the home, but only the husband will get in legal trouble. She is allowed to own firearms, as long as she is not herself a felon and she has made the purchases legally. But he is not to be in or near any and can be charged with "constructive possession" if you call the police and tell them this known felon lives in a home where there are guns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that and the police have done nothing stating they had no just cause for searching the home. So basically, it appears nothing can be done unless she commits a crime. She does not work, nor does he and they live off of child support and food stamps and whatever else she can get from the government paid for by American's tax dollars. Is that correct?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest, it is not a style of living that I would condone. But it would only be a crime if they are in some way defrauding the state on the assistance.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You can always file a modification to change the custody order.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You only need to show that you would be a better provider for the children.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

And that the Mother not being employed, living on state assistance is harming your children. You can file that on your own, if you don't want to use a local attorney.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Tried that too and she immediately made accusations about molestation of my daughter which was totally false. But the attorney said it is not unusual for mothers to do this to stop the dads in their tracks and even though accusations are false, there are huge risks for the father. It's been a nightmare. She is destroying the children. Thanks anyway. It seems I'm at a dead end.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I wish there was more you could do.