How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29006
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Married years now but my wife left and im wondering if i can

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: married for 3 years now but my wife left and im wondering if i can still file for green card
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: we are still married but she left a years ago im an international student and do not have any pending application with uscis
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Were you physically abused by your spouse? If so, do you have any evidence of the abuse, medical records,photos of injuries, police reports?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im married to a us citizen 3 years ago then she left me last year im wondering if i can still file for green card because we are still not divorced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i was not abused
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

No, if you are not in a bona fide good faith marriage living together establishing a comingled life you cannot file based on merely being married and not having terminated the marriage.

There is no basis in the law to self-petition unless you were abused.

, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I have an ethical obligation to tell you what the law is and not give you an answer you may want to hear.

Please do not shoot the messenger and withhold rating my answer. I gave you professional good service despite your disappointment.