How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years professional experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a US citizen who married in the Philippines. She does

Customer Question

I'm a US citizen who married in the Philippines. She does not have a visa and resides in the Philippines. I had originally plan to bring her to the US before finding out she only wanted to extort money. In any case I cancelled the visa process and need to Divorce her here in Missouri but I only have the Philippine marriage document. We also have a son together who a fear for. Can I get custody and how can I divorce her here with no record of US marriage?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I did but cancelled it in Writing.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I pay her 900 a month for my son. She threatens I wont see or talk with him (via Skype) unless I send more money and that she will tell him her new boyfriend is his farther.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

ANSWER: You can file for divorce in Missouri if you have been a resident of that state for at least ninety days immediately before filing the divorce petition. It does not matter that she is still overseas or that there is no record of a US marriage. You file the petition in the county where you reside. See Missouri Statutes - Title 30 - Chapter 452 - Sections: 300 and 305. With respect to custody, however, a Philippines' court will have to decide that since your son resides with the mother there. The Missouri court will not have any jurisdiction over your son if he is overseas.

Related Immigration Law Questions