How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28938
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I apply card renewal, and my card expired in may 2015,

Customer Question

If I apply for a green card renewal, and my card expired in may 2015, can I then:
1. Apply for my green card.
2) Take my receipt notice to an infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp.
3) Wait to get fingerprinted after I return to the U.S. in a few weeks.
Basically I'm asking if I can get my I-551 stamp without getting fingerprinted first?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You can try. Generally, USCIS will want to see your receipt, airline ticket and explanation of what is the emergency to travel.

When you have your biometrics done you are given a temporary stamp in your passport so they want to see you have some emergency that requires the temporary I-551 now, particularly since your card has been expired for a year.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.