How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28811
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an L1a through my company and am currently going

Customer Question

I have an L1a through my company and am currently going through the green card process (I140) I got married a few months ago and my husband already has his green-card does this give me any options to file for an EAD or to change companies?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

If you were not married at the time your spouse got his green card you cannot get a EAD based on the marriage and him filing your I-130 petition.

It will be at least 13-18 months before a visa number is ***** for you depending on your country of birth. Only then when your priority date is current can you file for adjustment of status and an EAD. Currently spouses of permanent residents who had petitions filed Nov 2014 are able to apply for the EAD.

See this USCIS link

You are far better off remaining with your L1A company and getting your green card through them because there is no wait for a current priority date. All countries are current and you can file for your adjustment of status and EAD with the I-140. You do not have to wait until the I-140 is approved. But you need to stay on the job until the I-140 is approved and then you can port to a new employer.

If you would like to know more about this you can begin a new question thread with "FOR JUDITH".

However, you will need to increase the value of the question for me to take it because it will be a very long and detailed question thread.

Or I can offer you premium service for that on this question thread or even a phone call to discuss. You choose the lowest value for this question and as you know time is valuable.

You understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars

In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Related Immigration Law Questions