Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Immigration attorney. How to bring my Colombian friend to

Customer Question
Immigration attorney. How to bring my...
Immigration attorney.
How to bring my Colombian friend to the US for a visit. A vacation.
She applied for the tourist visa (B2) but was rejected.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/7/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Taylor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Taylor
Taylor, Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i would be happy to help you!

What was the reason the b2 was rejected?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am American. She is Colombian. We met in Colombia 6 months ago and have traveled 3 times together since then. I thought it would be nice for her to visit the US for 2 weeks. I wrote a letter of invitation stating I would pay her expenses while here and outlining our itinerary. And I bought her a round trip ticket. She brought both to the interview. Thinking they would help show she will return to Colombia and is not a risk to stay in the US. The interviewing official asked for my financial statement which she did not have. And he asked questions along the lines of "why is he paying your way..." etc. The visa was rejected. Shall we try again with my financial statement included? Or try for a student visa? She could come here and take a 6 week English ESL course and the school would help with the visa process (decoupling her from me). The goal is just to let her experience the US for a couple weeks. No immigration, no marriage! We are just travel buddies.

Thank you for the additional information. I believe those are both great options. I would first try including your financial statement and also make sure she does not get denied because she cannot show a close tie to columbia (i.e.- she will definitely return). make sure she explains to them her family back home as well as her intent in the u.s.

if that doesnt work and the school is willing to help, i would suggest you try the student visa route next. bc it is likely she will be denied if she just reapplies quickly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Honestly, this is the second time I've consulting an attorney on this site. For a second opinion. The first was adamant that I ruined her chances of a B2 because I proved she has a relationship with me by providing a letter of invitation and offering to pay. He also said the student visa was impossible now that she has been rejected for the B2. He claims the only viable option is marriage or fiancé visa! I find that hard to believe, which is why I'm seeking a second opinion. That said, your response lacks any level of detail. So I find you hard to believe! There must be a way for college student who has no assets to visit the US. She is in school. Would documentation showing that help? She has parents, a brother and a grandmother whom she lives with. How to show ties to them? What form of financial statement should she show from me? It cost about $350 for the first attempt. I don't want to waste another $350 if it is down the wrong path. Finally, please don't take my comments personally. I'm sure you are a fine attorney who is trying to help. But I need a specific plan of action. Not nebulous generalities.

I appreciate your honesty. I am going to opt out and give another expert an opportunity! Best of luck! Thanks for using JA.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Understood. I find this whole foray into immigration law fascinating. I'm an engineer who solves problems. So this is just another problem to solve...
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, this is Jennifer and I will be the attorney helping you today. Give me a few minutes to read the question and I'll be right back.

I'm so sorry for the delay, but your question was hidden and I could not reply.

Unfortunately there is no perfect or guaranteed answer honest no matter what immigration attorney you ask. The only person that knows how it will go will be the consular officer that decides to approve the B2 tourist visa or the F1 student visa or not. This is why you will likely not get a concrete answer from any of us.

I can tell you that it is not impossible for the F1 student visa to be approved now just because the B2 tourist visa has been denied. However, it does diminish the chances of approval of either visa because it will be harder for her to prove that she does not intend to come to the US to stay permanently since she already had one visa denied. For both visas, she will have to work very hard now at proving that she has significant ties to her country and unfortunately that is very difficult for someone in her position without a good job in her country and without her own money. Having a family such as parents and siblings is given almost no weight in terms of being considered "significant ties" because people leave those family members and come to the US and stay permanently all the time. Leaving a spouse or children behind has more weight but even that alone is not convincing enough anymore. The only tie it sounds like she has is school. She can show that with school registration documents and it may help, but there's no guarantee that it will be enough.

At this point, the F-1 student visa may have a better chance so if she is accepted to an accredited school, that may be the better way to go.

I can also tell you that it is true that the option with the highest chance of approval now will be the fiance visa or getting married. I know that is not what you want to do right now but I did want to just let you know.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney