How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4880
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married the person whom I loved and we loved each other

Customer Question

I married the person whom I loved and we loved each other when we were married. She is a non-US citizen. But shortly after we got married a lot of changes have happened. I love her but it seems like our relationship has drifted apart.
I would like to know the consequences if i choose to divorce her? What consequences would I have? What consequences will she have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Did you ever petition her for her green card?

Dont worry, you aren't charged more for answering me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah she just got her finger prints done and now we are waiting on the interview.
When we dated it was so different, once we signed the papers our quality of relationship changed
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Thanks for the information. Well, If you choose to divorce her BEFORE she receives her green card, then she will not receive her green card. She will be illegal in the US if she doesn't have any other visa and she can be put into deportation proceedings and be deported.

If that happens You don't face any consequences and the consequences she faces would just be possible deportation. But there are no criminal consequences. None of what either of you has done is illegal if it was a genuine marriage. You simply married and began the green card process and now may be divorcing.

The other option is that you try to work it out and remain married the day of her interview. If that happens, then she will likely receive her green card. Once she has her green card, if you continue having issues and want to divorce, you still can but at that point she does not face deportation.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my my answer to your question but you did not say ask any follow up questions or leave a rating. I would like to earn your positive rating.