Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Drug trafficking question

Customer Question

drug trafficking question
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Those type of questions usually have very bad news answers. What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a (potential) drug trafficking question for you

Sure. What may I answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If someone 2 weeks ago purchased a small quantity of drugs and this transaction was recorded, can you be charged? keep in mind no evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing has come of it, but the seller was believed to record the transaction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you need more details, i can provide

Well, let's assume the recording falls into the hands of police. Are you asking if charges can be filed then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or i a police officer was present
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if so, is there a timeline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still here?

Well, I think that's standard procedure if a wire was worn by someone. So yes, since it is common for wires to be worn by confidential informants or undercover police officers, charges could be filed from that evidence. A defense attorney would try to make sure that the evidence was properly gathered meaning that the proper warrants and procedures were followed, etc. The recordings would be evidence, so I don't know why you say there is no evidence. More evidence may be needed, but it is up to the prosecutor to determine if there is enough evidence to file charges. Sometimes this is done by using a grand jury. As far as timeline goes, it depends on the state this happened in and the actual charges. Some crimes have 3, or 4, or 6 year statute of limitations. Others are longer. So again, it depends on he state and the charges themselves.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bot***** *****ne..evidence by wire/recording is just the same as having the drug physically on you?

It isn't the same thing, but it could be used as evidence for conspiracy to commit a specific offense which is often just as bad. Again, there are a number of elements at play. The recordings may or may not be enough.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lastly...is there a reason why someone would wait for an extended time, rather than proceeding with charges immediately?

Weeks or months, maybe because they are trying to gather more evidence. Years, probably not, but just because a case goes cold doesn't mean that new additional evidence couldn't pop up later, but that's why they have statute of limitations. At some point too many years is too much and the authorities would be cut off.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. Talk about unfair! So I hope you leave that positive rating. Your question does NOT close if you forgot to ask something. You aren't charged again if you respond on the same thread. If you don't see the stars by my name, just let me know. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!