How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our son who is a U.S. citizen living and working in Des

Customer Question

Our son who is a U.S. citizen living and working in Des Moines for the VA wishes to marry a girl from the Philippines who is here on a J1 visa. What is the bestr way to do this. Marry her here before she has to return to the Philippines middle of next month. Or go to the Philippines and marry her there? Will she need to return at any rate? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

The fastest way will always be for the US citizen to marry a foreigner while the foreigner is in the US. If they do that, he can petition her for her green card while she is here and usually she does not need to return to her home country. However, for the J-1 visa there are special rules. Do you know if she is subject to the 2 year requirement?

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my reply and questions to you on June 27th. Just a reminder that I can't answer your question if you don't provide me with the information I need. Once you do that, I can gladly answer all your inquiries.

*Also, don't worry- You are not charge anything more for answering me.