How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108641
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm bryan I'm 21 years old and I would like to know if there

Customer Question

hi I'm bryan I'm 21 years old and I would like to know if there is any way to get the citizenship before waiting 5 years. My step mom is american and I got the green card 12 months ago she is merried with my father for 12 years she has a permit work only thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did a parent of yours get U.S. Citizenship before you turned 18?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My step mom is american before I was 18 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the green card when I was 20
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Then unfortunately you cannot receive U.S. Citizenship automatically. You will need to have U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency for 4 years and 9 months before you can apply for U.S. Citizenship. There are two exceptions. One is to be married to a U.S. Citizen for 3 years. The other is to sign up for U.S. Military Service and then you can apply after finishing boot camp, so pretty quickly. Here is a link:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Immigration Law Questions