Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have lived in the US since 1991....getting a greencard at

Customer Question
my first opportunity via my...
I have lived in the US since 1991....getting a greencard at my first opportunity via my employer back in the day. I have since married a US citizen, and she is always after me to become a US citizen, but other than being able to vote (which is a big deal because I always voted in Canada), I just do not see the benefit of becoming a citizen. I do naturally adhere to all the laws of the US as I live here, but says that on my Greedcard, it is like I am constant probation with the US, while a citizen will give me more solid status. ALSO...we are thinking about potentially leaving the US, but if were a citizen; am I not always beholding to the US to pay taxes on my retirement income etc even if we are not living here fulltime, or would I be doing that with my greencard anyway. We are thinking about moving to Canada next year, and keeping a condo in Arizona that we would only use during the winter. Your guidance and thoughts place...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

So in other words, are you looking for PRO and CON reasons of being a US Citizen from a neutral third party?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Ely, Counselor at Law