Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Us citizen wants to marry Jamaican fianc� in Jamaica and

Customer Question
bring him to us what...
us citizen wants to marry Jamaican fianc� in Jamaica and bring him to us what is the best way to do this. want a beach wedding in Jamaica
what is the shortest separation time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/22/2016
Immigration Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If you intend to marry in Jamaica and enter the USA as married persons, then the only practical method is Immigrant Visa Processing.

The U.S. government needs to "vet" your spouse, before an immigrant visa will be granted. This can take up to three-four months to accomplish. Obviously not a very happy proposition. However, let me suggest a "what if" for you.

Suppose that a Jamaican citizen were to come to visit the USA on a tourist visa with no intent of getting married to you or anyone else. And, let's just suppose you met this person by accident, fell in love and got married on impulse.

Under such circumstances, your new spouse could get an immigrant visa while waiting in the USA, and he would not be require to leave. He could also obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

So, maybe a beach wedding could be changed to a honeymoon on the beach, instead. Something to consider.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think that would be considered fraud in our circumstance. are you an attorney?

Yes, I'm an attorney -- and a damn good one. I proposed a "what if." I didn't say that you should engage in immigration fraud. People's circumstances change. One day you're getting married, then next day you've broken up and are dating someone else.

My proposed hypothetical is entirely possible. Whether or not it's possible for you is outside of my scope of knowledge, because I have limited information of any individual customer's actual circumstances. That's why people actually hire lawyers: to get to the specific facts, rather than the hypotheticals.

If your circumstances are as you have suggested, and they will not change, then my original answer provides your only legal alternative: Immigrant Visa Processing. But, if your circumstances do change, then my hypothetical may become entirely realistic, and not immigration fraud.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

The link provided for "Immigrant Visa Processing" seems to have broken in my previous answers. I'll try again:

http://www.familytousa.com/immigrant-visa-processingconsu/

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay I apologize if my question was too vague. I am planning to marry a Jamaican national. instead of going the K1 route I wanted to marry in Jamaica but I do not see any way to start the process in the US. If I do the K1 Visa we have to marry in the US right? Is there a way to start the process in the US but get married in Jamaica and he come back with me to the US after the ceremony? I am not understanding why we can not start the process and end with the marriage and be together after the ceremony if the ceremony is in Jamaica. thank you.

No worries.

If you go the K1 fiance visa route (which, in my view is the best option, because you will know, before you marry, that your spouse will have his status adjusted immediately to a conditional legal resident), then my suggestion is that you bring your fiance to the USA, after the K1 visa is approved, get married in a courthouse, and then have your "ceremony" in Jamaica.

No one but the two of you will know that the ceremony is, for lack of a better term, only "ceremonial." You get your beach wedding, your spouse gets his visa and you move on with your lives together.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Note: you can alternatively apply for a K3 visa. But, I think it's suboptimal, because you could end up being married to someone who is denied an immigrant visa.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called an attorney to get an answer. thank you

I hope you get the answer you're seeking. Best wishes and thanks again for using Justanswer.

socrateaser, Lawyer