Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I'm really interested in working in the US, I am an

Customer Question

Hi there I'm really interested in working in the US, I am an Australian hairdresser with 8 years experience and am wondering what my options are?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Briefly via email, I have just gotten back from New York and fell in love with it over there. I do a lot of editorial photo shoot work and shows if that's at all useful?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have worked internally briefly at shows in London Paris and all over Australia
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Are you an stylist of extraordinary ability meaning you have been written up and talked about in trade publications; been on panels judging other stylists in the shows abroad, any other evidence that you are at the top of your field of endeavor above other stylists?

Did any employer in US show interest in offering you a position with them?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive won awards and have had my worked published many times in trade publications etc. As well as have many recognised by industry icons and flown around the world to work on shows and photo shoots.I met with one salon who asked me to send through my portfolio as well as my CV which I have done but havnt heard anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a portfolio of work etc that would support all of this also!

There is an "O" visa for persons of extraordinary ability. You need to have a job offer.

Here is a link that gives you more detail about the visa requirements. The employer would have to file the petition on your behalf.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement

It seems you may be a candidate for such a visa given the fact you have an international reputation both down under and abroad in the EU.

I would strongly suggest that you pursue that salon who showed interest in you and offer to pay the legal fees for this visa.

That way they have nothing to loose and everything to gain. If you read that link and really believe you qualify go to this link to find a lawyer in NYC that does employment based work and check their websites to see if they are skilled in O visas.

http://www.ailalawyer.com

This firm has good reputation http://cyrusmehta.com/

We are used to working remotely with clients who are in countries outside the US to get them visas so distance is not an issue.

You do not qualify for the E3 because that requires a Bachelor Degree and the job duties require the degree as well. Stylist is not in that category.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith