How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108991
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a physician on a J-1 visa. Each year I have to return to

Customer Question

I'm a physician on a J-1 visa. Each year I have to return to my home country and reapply for the J-1 each year. I have two years left of residency and then will try to either spend two years in my home country or try to find a visa waiver job. I've just got engaged, and my fianc� is American. My question is if we get married, will it make it harder for them to approve my J-1 each year that I need it? I understand I'll still have the 2 year requirement or visa waiver etc. but I was wondering if they'll be concerned that my ties to my home country aren't as strong if I'm engaged to an American... Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Unfortunately, yes, if you marry a U.S. Citizen, it may become harder to get a new J-1 in the future because the J-1 is a non-immigrant intent visa that requires non-immigrant intent. They may think that such a marriage would be evidence of immigrant intent. So you may want to delay the marriage until you get the latest J-1 approved. If you decide to get married, remember that there is also the J-1 waiver that is available.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions