How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108640
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an F-1 visa holder. I've been living in the US 3 years.

Customer Question

Hi. I'm an F-1 visa holder. I've been living in the US for about 3 years. I've been attending college for a year. But I want to be a musician. is there anyway to change my status to a visa for performers or musicians in order to practice here? Can an agency sponsor me? 'Cause I dont really want to go back to my home country. Is there any way to engage in music full time without worrying about my student visa status? Thanks
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS? It's hard to know for sure. The Immigration Lawyer will figure it out. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I havent really talked to any lawyer. I actually have an appointment with an immigration lawyer on Thursday. No, I dont have any pending applications. And like I said, I'm on a student visa.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Um, a lot. But this information is fine for now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Yes, you could change F-1 to a P status without having to leave the U.S., but it's not going to be easy. Each P category has specific restrictions and if you don't meet the requirements, you would be denied the P status. The U.S. doesn't want just any musician to be able to stay in the U.S. and perform and work because that person would compete against other U.S. musicians that are trying to earn a living and get that lucky break. So again, you can do it, but it will not be easy.

Here are the links:

You could also try for an O status, but for that you have to be nationally or internationally recognized in your field. Here is the link:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Can you tell me about the P visa?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your quick response tells me that you didn't look through them. Please read through each one and then you tell me which you think you could fit into and why.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure yet. But either a P 2 or a P 3. I'll have to study them later. Can the visa be renewed or do you have to return to your home country after it has expired?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You would not get a visa. You would get the status if you do not leave the U.S. And yes, you can renew the status without leaving the U.S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Another question is, can a booking agency sponsor an artist or a musician with a work visa?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, about the P visa, you said the US doesnt want any musician to perform and work in the US, so how are u allowed to renew the status? Is there a limit you can work here on the status?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, lets just chat here

Related Immigration Law Questions