How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just enloped with my Fiance. He's a us citizen and what do

Customer Question

I just enloped with my Fiance. He's a us citizen and I'm Canadian what do we need to do now?!
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Kk
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of we just enloped and now we want to know what paper work I need to do to stay with him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Congratulations. Please tell me:

1) Where did you get married?

2) Where do you plan to live?

3) If you are visiting USA, are you on a visitor's visa?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Ohio
2. Here in the states with my husband.
3. Visited for our annual 1 month and half meetings. No visa.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Actually you do have a visa, without realizing it. You were given it at the border automatically since you are Canadian.

Do you plan to live with him in the US - is that the plan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it benefits both of us being here :)
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Sure. He would have to petition for you using the I-130/I-485 application package. See HERE for step by step on instructions on how to do so. The forms are here:

There is something called dual intent. See HERE. This disallows you to seek permanent residency while on a tourist visa in most cases. As such, you would have to go to Canada until the I-130/I-485 goes through, which should be within about 6 months on average.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions