Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

If someone is convicted of a misdemeanor - 273.5(a)

Customer Question
Infliction of a corporal injury...
If someone is convicted of a misdemeanor - 273.5(a) Infliction of a corporal injury to spouse, and they were sentenced to 10 days in jail, 3 years probation, fines, and anger classes; Are they able to apply for Naturalization? The conviction occurred in 2004, and they had become a permanent resident in 2002.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/15/2016
Immigration Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can apply for Naturalization, the fact that you have been convicted of domestic battery on a spouse will almost certainly result in you being found to not have Good Moral Character and your chances for Naturalization are relatively small.

Here is an article that discusses these issues that you are facing:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/five-years-passed-since-crime-can-you-apply-naturalization.html

At a minimum you should not even consider applying without first retaining an Immigration attorney to assist you.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer