Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My wife got her Conditional Permanent Resident status about

Customer Question

My wife got her Conditional Permanent Resident status about a month ago from Finland. She would like to go back to Finland to finish her Masters Degree within the next year. What would be the process for re-entry if she is gone for 2 years with the express purpose of getting her degree and moving back to the US. Also, I (an American Citizen) would go with her during her studies.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. We will talk back and forth until I have all the information I need from you, and you will respond until you have all the information you need. Once you've received the information you need, you will thank me by giving me a a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: In order to be absent from the US for more than 1 year and avoid automatic revocation of her green card and permanent resident status, she needs to apply and be approved for a Re-Entry Permit. She should file form I-131, Application for Travel Document, requesting the Re-Entry Permit valid for 2 years.

Note that neither approval nor permission to re-enter is guaranteed; but the likelihood of revocation or denial with an approved Re-Entry Permit is very low.

To lessen the risk even more, she should maintain strong ties to the US, with property, bills, filing tax returns (even if she doesn't owe anything), maintaining a bank account, etc.