How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 37682
Experience:  I have practiced law for more than 3 decades.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was issued a U.S. card in 1961 and lived in the United

Customer Question

I was issued a U.S. green card in 1961 and lived in the United States for two years. I returned to Canada where I have lived to this day. The green card has no expiration date. My question is, is it possible that it still is valid. I go to the U.S. often.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In order to preserve your status as a lawful permanent resident you must insure that you are abroad for no more than 6 months or more per year. Otherwise, you risk losing your green card status. And this is especially true after multiple prolonged absences. You may get a warning from a US Customs agent at the border, or you may not. But if it has not yet been caught by the US and revoked, then it is arguably still valid. Based on your facts it appears that this issue may have just slipped between the cracks if you have received no notice of any warning or a notice of cancellation.

Here is a link which may be of interest to you:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,