How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a f1 student and I'm trying to go back home vacation.

Customer Question

Hello I'm a f1 student and I'm trying to go back home for a vacation. However, I have possion of weed and I will start my ASAP program in 2 days? What are my options ??
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You will not get a visa to return to the US with a conviction for possession of a controlled substance.

You will need to apply for a waiver if the amount was less than 30 grams. That is the only exception but it will take up to 12 months for the I-212 to be adjudicated.

If you want to get an education in the US you are stuck here until you finish and have the time to spend back in home country waiting for approval of your waiver for your conviction.

In your mind you say "Oh it was only a joint" but in the laws of the USCIS it is an offense than automatically makes you inadmissible without the waiver.

It is next to a serious crime like homicide unless it is under 30 grams and the you can apply for a waiver.

So that is your option.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Related Immigration Law Questions