How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3958
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested felony (grand theft) a bad check (though I

Customer Question

I was arrested for a felony (grand theft) for writing a bad check (though I paid back the money to banks even before I was arrested) on 1994(This incident was CMT I confirmed it with UCIS). The charge was reduced to misdemeanor 1, I had plead guilty and had 28 days jail time with 14 days suspension. On 2000 I was arrested for a shop lifting for 50 dollar items. Had finger printed and released. No Plea guilty, No judge (checked with 4 attorneys) Did 16 hours community service. Case was dismissed and all records were expunged. I got my Green Card on 2001 by disclosing all the incidents and submitted all court papers. Since then I had traveled overseas 17 times and every time I had to pass through secondary inspection. I successfully renewed my 10 year Green card on 2011. on 2016 January I submitted N400. I On first week of Feb I had my finger print done. Since then Nothing changed. Everyone I know submitted N400 on Jan in my local District already have oath. What make worse I have a very common Muslim name (I am also from Bangladesh, a small muslim country). I called Uscis several times and also went Infopass. All I heard from I/O that my background check is not complete yet. Now my question is what should I be more responsible for this delay: My criminal record or Muslim name (CARRP) or Both. Does it make send to file WOM at federal court though I have criminal past after 1 year anniversy of my N400 submition? I have a lawyer assinged to this case and another one is just as an advisor. Both have totally different approach. One said i should not go to federal court after a year to complain about USCIS delay since I have criminal record , another says I must go to fedearl court, otherwise it will be a never ending case. Advice Requested.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. We will talk back and forth until I have all the information I need from you, and you will respond until you have all the information you need. Once you've received the information you need, you will thank me by giving me a a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

Please allow me some time to review and consider your question, and prepare an appropriate response.

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

I cannot advise you as to whether you should go to federal court or not. I am only allowed to provide you with general information.

Keeping that in mind, what is your specific question?

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

I see you requested a phone call, but the payment failed. Someone from customer service will contact your shortly, to deal with the billing issues. Please be patient as they do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, May be I should not have this complelicated case here. Sorry
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Do you want to continue this conversation? We can still do that.

Related Immigration Law Questions