How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5220
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Both my parents and I were born in Vietnam. My mom became a

Customer Question

Both my parents and I were born in Vietnam. My mom became a naturalize US citizen when I was about 12 years old. My dad became a naturalize US citizen when I was 18-19 years old. Does this make me a US citizen or do I have to go through the process of becoming a naturalize citizen?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

What is your date of birth? What is the exact date that your dad became a citizen?

Did you live with both of your parents in the US? Were your parents legally married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DOB 8-9-77. I don't know the exact date my dad became a US citizen but I know was at 18 years old. Yes I lived with both of my parents in the US. They were legally married.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, because of the citizenship laws that you belong to due to your date of birth, both of your parents would have had to naturalize before you turned 18 in order for you to become an automatic citizen. Or you must have been living with the citizen parent alone because your parents were not together. IN this case you would need to fill out your own N-400 and apply for citizenship on your own. Sorry I wish I had better news.

I Hope you can understand that I dont make the law and I cannot change it.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I noticed that you were able to view my answer to you but you did not accept or reply. Is there any other follow up question that I can answer for you?

I'm sorry if my answer was not what you were hoping to hear. I hope you can understand that I have to be honest with you and that I do not make the law and cannot change it. Your satisfaction is my goal. Thanks for your consideration.