How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11912
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child was born August 10th 2015. I am a graduate student

Customer Question

My child was born August 10th 2015. I am a graduate student here and will be graduating on August 5th 2016. My husband is doing his PhD here. Is there any way we can apply for immigration now?
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yes,but if there is any way I would love to consult with a lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I just need to know if there is any claws through which he can apply for me. Then i will be able to proceed further
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. We will talk back and forth until I have all the information I need from you, and you will respond until you have all the information you need. Once you've received the information you need, you will thank me by giving me a a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

When you say apply for immigration now, do you mean you want to apply for a green card based on your child's US citizenship status?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you very much. Please remember that I may be working with several customers at the same time. So it might take some time to respond. please do not post asking me to respond or checking if I am here. It will put your question at the bottom of the list, and will only delay my responses to you.

Also, during this process, please remember that I do not work for the government. My job is to be honest with you about your situation, and sometimes that means I have to deliver bad news. I know a negative outcome might create negative feelings for you, but those feelings should be directed to the US laws, not me. So please do not give me a negative rating for a answer you did not expect or like. Thank you for your understanding.

Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, the parents of US citizen children cannot derive immigration benefits from the child until the child is 21 years old and can petition for the parents.

So to answer your question, no, there is no way for you to apply for immigration at this time through your child.

I'm very sorry, but that is what the law says. And I have no control over the law and cannot change it.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions