How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12304
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive just discovered that my visa has expired on Apr 14, 2016

Customer Question

Hi. Ive just discovered that my visa has expired on Apr 14, 2016 and my I-94 will be expiring on June 30, 2016. I have an employment authorization card that is also expiring on June 30, 2016. I have been working as a Math teacher in the Baltimore City Public Schools, and am working towards getting a Maryland Teacher Certificate.
I entered the United States as a spouse of a E2 visa.I am now separated (but not legally) from my spouse.
What should I do to extend my visa?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. I will ask you questions until I have the information I need, and then I will provide you with an answer. While it might take some time to get through this, we will get through it together.

Please allow me a moment to review and consider your question before responding.

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

First, expiration of your visa is not the issue. The vis is only important when you are entering the US from abroad. Once in the US, the governing document is your I-94.

In order to extend your stay in the US, you need to get a new I-94. So in this case, you need to file for an extension of your E2 status.

As long as you are married and your spouse is on valid E2 status, you are eligible for the E2 dependent status. So if you and your spouse remain married and s/he is willing to provide documentation required for you to apply for an extension, you can extend your status and EAD card.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I see you have reviewed my answer already. But I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.